Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Mittenwald?

I know it%26#39;s all about personal preference, but I%26#39;m just curious about what others have to say about this: I%26#39;m trying to decide between 3 days in Garmisch vs. 3 days in Mittenwald. Our stay in either place will be part of a 10-day trip through Munich and Bavaria. We want to hike, eat good food, see the countryside, etc. We%26#39;ll probably spend a day in Garmisch even if we stay in Mittenwald, and vice versa. I%26#39;m leaning toward Mittenwald mostly because its cheaper but also because of all the talk about its beauty, but I%26#39;m a little worried (based on other stuff that I%26#39;ve read) that Mittenwald is too %26quot;touristy.%26quot; I%26#39;m not worried about the presence of tourists (I%26#39;ll be one after all) but rather that things, the town, might be too contrived or something -- in other words, not the real thing. Which is more %26quot;real%26quot; - Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Mittenwald? Which has the better food? And has anybody been to the folk festival in Garmisch? Thank you for any opinions!




|||



Hi owlhead64,





Yes, if I were on vacation, I%26#39;d settle in Mittenwald. Not only is it smaller (and so easier to get around), its activities are centered around one pedestrian street. Also, I really enjoy the hiking from there more than I do from Garmisch.





Yes, Garmisch-Partenkirchen is a busier place. Not only busier with tourists, but with traffic and impatient drivers and folks rushing through their lunch hours. It%26#39;s the better place to live, mind you, but maybe not for a quiet few days of relaxation.





GaP is also more spread out. There are two pedestrian zones that are about 30 minutes (by foot) apart, but you don%26#39;t often see English-speakers at the second one (on Ludwigstrasse in Partenkirchen).





Which is more real???? Both have been surviving on visitors who enjoy hiking and skiing and wandering in the mountains since WW2 (probably well before that too). Both have buildings that are 200-300 years old. The violin-making craft is a respected tradition for Mittenwald, and makes that village pretty authentic.





I don%26#39;t think you can go wrong with either choice, really!





s




|||



swanday,





thanks for your input. yeah, I know that %26quot;real%26quot; is kind of a strange way to describe (or ask about) a town. but I recently read someone else%26#39;s review (on another forum) about Mittenwald being %26quot;worn down%26quot; and %26quot;touristy%26quot; or something like that and it made me wonder. I guess I%26#39;ll have to see for myself. I don%26#39;t think we can go wrong. it all sounds lovely. garmisch or mittenwald, we are looking forward to what will hopefully be a fantastic vacation!





thanks again.





owlhead




|||



When are you planning your trip? I have the same questions as you but currently I am staying in Garmisch for 4 nights in October.




|||



The earlier poster was correct -- both places are lovely. I also found Mittenwald easier to get around in since it is smaller. The two are only about half an hour apart by train. My impression was that there were more English-speaking tourists in Garmisch and more German-speaking tourists in Mittenwald.





If you go to Mittenwald, there%26#39;s an ice cream shop on the main pedestrian street that features something called %26quot;spaghetti ice.%26quot; That%26#39;s vanilla ice cream molded to look like spaghetti, topped with strawberry sauce.




|||



We are just back from 2 weeks in Mittenwald and I would definitely go for Mittenwald rather than Garmisch. As others have said, Mittenwald is smaller and easier to get around, whereas Garmisch is more of a big town/small City. Cost wise I don%26#39;t think there is much difference between the two.





In my opinion Mittenwald is more scenic, tranquil and peaceful compared to Garmisch. Mittenwald is now officially my favourite place in the whole of Europe!!





We certainly did not find it too touristy although as English/Scottish we were in the minority as 98% of the people we encountered were Germans on holiday there. We prefer that though as I hate to go anywhere where you see signs %26quot;Steak Pie and Chips%26quot;, %26quot;Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding%26quot; etc. All part of the fun with our little German dictionary trying to work our restaurant menus!!





Compared to Seefeld (Austria) which I would descibe as touristy (especially the prices of food and drink) I really could not decribe Mittenwald as touristy.




|||



Thanks everyone for your input. Packerfan, we%26#39;re going next week! I%26#39;m very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment