Tuesday, April 24, 2012

How much to get from ATM debit machine?

We are in Germany 17 days? I need money for 17 days of meals and 10 days if B%26amp;B%26#39;s. Meals will be eaten



in Gasthofs (just the local places and not ultra restaurants) and B%26amp;B%26#39;s will be in the 100 euro range (140 dollars). How many euros should I figure per day? I%26#39;d only like to hit the ATM%26#39;s about every 3rd day. We will be using our Bank of America Debit Card at Deutshes Bank machines. We will drinking a lot of German bier. Thanks. Frank




|||



Hey Frank. I don%26#39;t have a clue about the amount you need but make sure that BoA debit card doesn%26#39;t have more than four digits for your code because the atms in Europe don%26#39;t accept more than four - I went into my local BoA branch and updated mine.





Jo Anne




|||



I have heard the 4 digit story before, but mine is 6 digits and I was there in February, used the BoA card at Deutsche Bank ATMs without any problem.





As far as the original question. I usually carry about 60-70 Euro per day, for two people. If the hotel accepts credit I use that for room expense, if not add to the daily expense. Depends on how much bier and type of restaurant, etc. If you are traveling and unsure about where the next D-Bank atm might be you should load up. If I am staying in Garmisch, I know the D-Bank atm is right in front of the Bahnhof. If I am in Fussen, I know there isn%26#39;t one near the downtown area.




|||



Thanks to all for your help. After reading them all, I have decided to turn to a life of crime to



pay for my Bayern reise. I will be hitting the bank



on Monday in Libby, MT. Wish me luck. Thanks again.



Frank




|||



%26gt;I have heard the 4 digit story before, but mine is 6 digits and I was there in February, used the BoA card at Deutsche Bank ATMs without any problem.





The 4 digit story is about 10 years out of date. Banks in many European countries issue PINs with more than 4 digits (5 in Italy, 6 in Switzerland) and they work everywhere.




|||



Make sure you call your bank before you leave so it will approve the transaction. Also--make sure you know the # to call if problems--if BofA recently took over your bank, the number on the back of the card may not be accurate. (Speaking from experience unfortunately.)





Capital One%26#39;s credit cards do not have a service fee unlike most of the others.





Have a great trip!




|||



Was the capital one accepted in Germany? That is what we have but I heard Mastercard was not as accepted as Visa.





Thanks



stephanie




|||



Thanks for the update on the 4 digit passcode. I got that information from my bank.





It%26#39;s a great idea to keep your bank phone numbers written down somewhere. I lost a credit card while in Germany once and it was just a nightmare. I was able to get it replaced quickly but I had to call my husband back in the states to get the non toll free number to call. Even after replacement, I couldn%26#39;t use it in a store but I was able to go into a bank to get a cash advance.





I would be very interested in knowing if there is a difference on accepting either MasterCard or Visa?




|||



We didn%26#39;t have problems using the Capital One mastercard in Italy or France last year. I am assuming no problem in Germany. Will be bringing another card though.





Also--I lost/had stolen my purse on a trip in the US. We realized as we were calling all of the credit card companies to notify them of the lost/stolen cards, that with the exception of one card, my husband and I only had one account that was not a joint account. Since then, we have two--those are the ones we take with us when we got on vacation--then we have a back up that works.





Probably a bit too much paranoia on my part--but certainly reduces any worries.




|||



Hi



I have learned to use my HSBC ATM card when I visit a foreign country, the rate is really competitive and also ATMs are available in many major cities. No fees and the currency exchange rate is market value.



Good luck finding the right cc.

No comments:

Post a Comment