Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

Does anyone know anything about Camp Pieri or the Hainerberg housing area in Wiesbaden? I was stationed in Wiesbaden 1962-1963 and did volunteer work in the Hainerberg Chapel. My wife and I are returning to Wiesbaden for a week, beginning August 19. I realize that very little will be the same as it was then. It may be that none of the above is still standing, but it will be a treat just to be back in the area that I enjoyed so much. Also, the plus of sharing it with my wife for the first time. It would help if I knew what to expect.



Thanks for any response.








|||



I don%26#39;t know about Camp Pieri, but the Hainerberg housing area is still there in Wiesbaden. Unfortunately, unless you have a military ID card, you won%26#39;t be able to go on post unless someone signs you in. Have a wonderful trip!!




|||



I currently live in Hainerberg. The housing areas around Wiesbaden are not contolled. you do not need an ID card to get to the housing area. You will need a ID card to get to the PX and main post. I have not heard of Camp Pieri. The chapel is still standing and as the army rarely gets rid of anything is still in use. The chapel is in good condition.




|||



Many thanks for the two responses to my questions. I am delighted to learn that Hainerberg Chapel is still standing and that we will be able to see it. That will bring back many good memories. Through another source, I have learned that the Immanuel Baptist Church, also, is still in operation and I plan to make a contact there. I imagine that Camp Pieri (an Army installation) closed down as some point, and that may have been several years ago. Would still love to find about about that.




|||



Dear %26quot;Superwagoneer%26quot;, You may be the best one to give me directions from the Frankfurt International Airiport to the NH Aukamm Wiesbaden Hotel. Aukammallee 31. We will be renting a car for the week once we land, and your directions would be most helpful. Many thanks! augustvisitor




|||



my ex hubby was stationed at camp pieri...on the hill. from what i have heard it has been shut down after we left in 91. heard it was housing for the east germans when they 1st came over to west germany. hainerberg chapel is still there. the px area has changed alot since i left, so i probably would not be the best person for information on that. however, check out and see if the military has a website about wiesbaden. i also heard that the air force hospital was closed. we lived at the air base and not much has changed there. mind you, my dad was in stuttgart when they put the wall up and i was there in wiesbaden when they tore it down. neat how things come full circle. if there is anything else that i can do to help you, email me and i will try to help anyway i can.



have a great day!!



stephanie




|||



can you tell me how far the army base in wiesbaden is from downtown, specifcally from the ramanda treff?




|||



downtown wiesbaden is about 15 miles from the air base. there are plenty of buses and parking is good, mostly parkhaus, but safe and secure. while you are there, dont forget to check out the worlds largest cuckoo clock. it is near the main walkplatz, but cannot remember the exact street. most people should know where it is. if you get the time, mainz is also nice and the shopping is a little less expensive there.




|||



thank you for your help. i apprectiate it very much.




|||



Stephanie (2ndarmrddiv), Thank you for the word on Camp Pieri. I didn%26#39;t think my two years there were imaginary. It was a beautiful location on the hill overlooking Wiesbaden. I feared that it had been demolished by now, but maybe not. Well, August is not far away and all my questions will be answered.



Can%26#39;t wait to cruise the Rhine again! Tom




|||



It may be that not everyone has found the website for Wiesbaden. In addition to a map, there is a virtual tour of all the points of interest in and around the city. The address is http://english.wiesbaden.de/



It%26#39;s fun. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment