Thursday, March 29, 2012

One day in Speyer

I will have one full day in Speyer and must depend on public transportation or rent a car (Are there one day car rentals in Speyer?) I would appreciate suggestions for what to do with my day.




|||



The Technical Museum is excellent. It took up the majority of my daytrip to Speyer. Google %26quot;Speyer Technik%26quot; to get to the museums website. There is also a %26quot;sister%26quot; museum at Sinsheim.





The city center of Speyer is also worth exploring. I visited Speyer using the train and then the local bus to get to the museum. The weather was good and I walked from the museum back to the city center through a very pleasant park. And then I walked back to the rail station.





There is also an aquarium in town, but I didn%26#39;t visit it so I don%26#39;t know if it is worthwhile.




|||



The very most important thing, the highlight of Speyer is the Cathedral, one of the tops in Germany and a world UNESCO site. Dating to 1030 AD.I%26#39;m not saying you want to visit the Cathedral per se but it the town landmark. I happened to be there last year and a wonderful choir was practicing when I went in, very atmospheric. the basement has crypts of many german leader from centuries ago.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speyer_Cathedral





Speyer (Worms and Mainz) have historically had a Jewish section since medieval days. Although it is now small, you can see remnants.





Speyer is on the Rhine and there are nice parks along the river. The town itself has some nice shops, including a large bookstore with many English titles.



www.speyer.de/de/tourist?switch_language=en





Should you want to travel, Schwetzingen and Heidelberg are about 15-20 minutes away and can be reached by public transportation. Heidleberg is easily a full day trip with visit to town, castle, etc.





For more info on day trips:



www.speyer.de/de/tourist/umgebung…



http://www.romantic-cities.com/




|||



%26gt;Should you want to travel, Schwetzingen and Heidelberg are about 15-20 minutes away





It´s rather 45-50 min one way but still reasonable.



In any case, Speyer has more than enough to occupy you for a full day. It is a popular day trip destination.




|||



Altamiro: Of course you are the expert, being right there in Mannheim, however I could swear I drove from HD to Speyer in 20 min. and Schweitzingen being between the two, certainly quick-ish. Maybe its longer and more complicated by public transport.



Nevertheless, Speyer - when we are in Heidelberg-Rohrbach and get on the highway (M5, I think, correct me if I am wrong) you can see clearly to the Speyer cathedral spires which are so impressive over the fairly flat plains there.



I recall there being a gift shop run by the cathedral right next to the church and having a wonderful conversation with the salesperson. he was an American who retired to Speyer and was so informed about the church, the town the area. It was a standout conversation in my mind. Maybe onthego10 can find him!

No comments:

Post a Comment