Friday, March 30, 2012

Places near Berlin to visit?

Hello.





I am going to spend 7 days in Berlin with my wife and two daughters at the end of August. I would like to know which places are also interesting to see in the surrounding area. I want places not too far thinking in returning to sleep in Berlin every night.





Postdam is one place. Could someone suggest me other places?





Regards from Spain.




|||



Hi,





for something a bit different, try the %26quot;Spreewald%26quot;



situated 100 km south-east of Berlin and designated a biosphere reserve by UNESCO in 1991. Basically, it is a labyrinth of rivers and travel is done by boat. The area has its own language, culture and food and is completely unique. You can take a train from Berlin to Lübben or Lübbenau which will take just over an hour. Once there, take a boat trip through the area (there will be many to chose from of varying length). Make sure you try the speciality, a pickled gherkin. All the boat tours will have a gherkin stop where you can try different pickles and also one or two liqueurs of the area .... You could also rent bikes and explore the area. I think 5 - 6 hours will just give you enough time to explore one of the village, do a boats tour and get active (you can also hire canoes). This would be completely different from Berlin and quite some experience. You didn%26#39;t say how old your daughters were but I am sure they would enjoy this!





Here are some web pages:



http://www.spreewald-info.com/en/index.php



www.spreewald-web.de/index.php?id=10%26type=1





G




|||



First of all, there is the obvious: Potsdam and Oranienburg are both within a short train ride from Berlin. Both are interesting, but of different reasons: Potsdam is full of palaces, parks, etc.; Oranienburg is the location of the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camo Memorial. There are tours leaving from Berlin to both locations:



http://www.insidertour.com/





Spreewald mentioned before is also a good idea (especially if you have a car).





You can also reach Dresden or Leipzig and return within the day, but there are so many sites to see in both cities that I am not sure if it is not better to go specifically to these places.




|||



Thank you for yours advices.





My daughters are 13 and 8 y.o. I have been reading the links about Spreewald, and this trip seems to be wonderful.





Dresden and Leipzig were my first options, but I believe that are too far and also are too big to see only in one day.




|||





Also, with the Spreewald excursion you will get something completely different to Berlin, so I think it would be a good choise. I was there last year, just overnight and for one day and it was quite an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment