Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Christmas Markets

Hi, I%26#39;m wondering if anyone can help me with information about the Christmas Markets in Germany. My daughter (who is 9) and I have to be in Venice by the 29th Of December so I thought I would leave Australia a little early, fly into Frankfurt and see the Christmas Markets. It will be a long flight and I have been to Mainz a few times so i thought first up I would get a car and drive the short distance to mainz to rest for a couple of days. I have read they have quite nice Christmas Markets there too. Then i thought we would head down to Neuremberg for the big Markets there and then cut down through Switzerland to get to Italy.





Will we be satisfied by the Markets in Mainz and Neuremberg or are there others close by that may be better? I thought one big city markey and one smaller town market. Also do you think we are rushing it a bit ; we have 9 days to make it from Mainz to Venice and will only do day driving and like to finish driving by about 3ish most days.





Thanks






|||



A lot of the markets will be closing down on the 22nd and 23rd. The Frankfurt market is lovely and there are a lot of things to see in Frankfurt to keep your daughter happy too. Especially some fun pools, childrens museum, etc. So you might want to consider staying here rather than in Mainz.





Your biggest problem is that on the 24th, pretty much everything shuts down for the day around 1400, to celebrate Christmas. I do meant everything too, except for the occasional gas station, public transport and hotels. The 25th and 26th are holidays and though restaurants will be open, a lot of the museums will not be. For Christmas eve dinner, you will most likely need reservations at decent hotel that will be serving guests, as you will not find anything open.





There are some cities though that do not close their Christmas markets down and will still be open after Christmas, including the 25th and 26th. You might want to consider those cities.





www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/index.htm




|||



One thing occurs to me. Are you comfortable driving in the snow or on ice? Unless you have experience doing this, you should take the train to Venice or your fun trip could turn into a nightmare. Driving in the snow is not like driving in the rain. The Christmas markets are usually within walking distance of the train and you can always rent a car once you have made it safely through the alps to Venice.




|||



Thanks to both of you for your advice. Your point of staying in Frankfurt is one I will definately re-consider. The reason I had dismissed it initially is because I have been to Frankfurt a few times and maybe it was the area I stayed in( it was the Hilton by the river), but I thought it was a little too much like a business city. Maybe you could suggest a prettier area of the city or a nice hotel that is walking distance to the markets? I will look at the site you suggested-thank you. I also really appreciate your advice re the xmas shutdown from 2pm and will work around that.





As for the driving, I think we should be ok. We have to do all our big holidays over our December/ January break and so if we go Northern have to go Winter. We have driven in France and Scotland in winter. Last January we spent the month in New York and Boston and drove right through Maine and Vermont and on many days we were getting several inches of snow on roads that were not being gritted. I%26#39;m a bit more worried about black ice which is why I will avoid driving after 3ish and look to drive on freeways if the temp gets lower than about 30 degrees. Maybe I%26#39;ve only driven on really good roads in Germany but they seem to be just about the best in the world and I can%26#39;t imagine the populous areas we are going to, to be left unattended by ploughs or gritting. Am I right? I%26#39;ve also got the added insurance of hiring a car that is exactly the same as I drive at home, so won%26#39;t need to get used to it. At the end of the day, if I%26#39;m wrong, life will be a little interesting for a few days!!!




|||



paddoA,



It sounds like not only have you considered the winter weather but you also you have experience. I am no longer worried. I have run into many Australians in Europe in the winter, genuinely shocked by and somewhat unprepared for the weather so you can understand my concern. I don%26#39;t think that there are any bad Christmas markets in Germany, so whatever you choose you will be happy.




|||



Thanks so much for that. Your response to my initial question outlines exactly why this site is so great. Complete strangers actually taking the time to make sure other travellers are taking all conditions into account and staying safe is amazing.





You know, yesterday we got back from Cambodia and before going I asked someone on the Cambodian forum what power adapters I should take. A lady actually emailed me a picture of the prongs to buy! I was really touched that someone would go to so much trouble.





I just noticed your from the USA. What a great place. I just wish there wasn%26#39;t a whole world of other places to see otherwise we would spend every holiday in the USA. You are very lucky.




|||



If you could give me a bit of price range and let me know if you want to stay here over Christmas, will send you some suggestions. The smaller hotels will probably not have dinner on the 24th, though you might be able to go to the Hilton, The Westin, Sheraton, Frankfurter Hof, Marriot, etc. for dinner even though you are not staying there. I know a lot of people have points they can use on the chain hotels for wonderful deals. The Hilton is now on a lovely park practically next to the Alte Oper.





Not sure, but the Alte Oper usually does a show of the Nutcracker Suite at Christmas, if you daughter is interested in ballet at all. On Chrismas eve at 17:00, you will want to be at the Römer platz to hear the %26quot;Pealing of the Bells%26quot;. This is 50 bells from 10 of the downtown churches ringing for 30 minutes. It sounds so wonderful and you can wander around to hear how it sounds in different places. Gloriosa, the big 12 ton bell in the Kaiserdom sets the tone.(they only do this 4 times a year, so it is quite special) Mass will of course be held there later in the evening and the organ there is really something to hear too.




|||



Thanks for that info. As a result I have booked at the Hilton for 2 nights on arrival and then will travel on. Thank you.




|||



I know I mentioned the Nutcracker Suite and so I looked it up. It is playing at the Alte Oper on 18,19, 20 Dec. so a little bit too early for you. A different alternative is that the musical %26quot;Sissi%26quot; will be playing from 18 Dec. to 4 Jan. with shows on the 23rd %26amp; 25th of Dec.





I don%26#39;t know if you are familiar with the Sissi story, but she is very popular in Germany. My daughter loved this when she was younger, so thought your daughter might like something like this too.





http://www.alteoper.de/




|||



I%26#39;ve been to a lot of Christmas markets in Germany and Austria. Frankfurt is definitely the bigger and more famous one. The Mainz Christmas market is small and less touristy. In the end, they all have the same attributes: lots of lights, warm beverages, the best snacks and little gift shops (to name a few).



I personally prefer the smaller ones.





Be sure to grab a non-alcoholic Punsch for your daughter, she will love it!




|||



We went to Wiesbaden one year as we found the Christmas Market in Frankfurt although lovely was absoutely mobbed. Also a lot of the recommended restaurants were booked out too.

No comments:

Post a Comment