Friday, March 30, 2012

16 blokes with bad sense of direction need some advice.....

Hi folks,



Myself and about 15/16 mates are heading to Berlin in November this year and I need some help.





Basically it%26#39;s my stag and what we are looking for are some local Berlin bars/pubs in close proximity to each other where we can head (after the sight seeing of course) for a %26#39;few%26#39; drinks,mingle with the local Berliners,bit of a laugh etc.





As I%26#39;ve never been there before I initially started looking around the Der Mitte/Orianburger Strasse but I%26#39;m starting to get the impression that this is more of a tourist trap in that there are lot of cocktail bars,themed pubs,cafe%26#39;s,Irish pubs (plenty of these at home) which we are trying to avoid - could be wrong though?





Should we maybe head towards Friedrichshain,Charlottenburg,Schoneberg,Kreuzberg?I%26#39;ve seen them recommended in other posts.





I%26#39;d really appreciate anybody%26#39;s recommendations - best area to stay in,name of bars,hotels etc....best recommendation%26#39;s can come on the stag too!





Cheers,



Mark.




|||



Hi GalwayRed. Heres something you may want to consider. When I was over a couple of years back I did the walking tour with New Berlin (see link below) checking out all the historical stuff. Anyway, during the tour they asked if anyone was interested in doing the football tour (a day out to see Hertha Berlin and a few beers) or the evening pub crawl. We were pre-booked so couldn%26#39;t take up the offer but later that night we bumped into a group of about 30 who were on the crawl. They were from all corners of the globe and were having a ball and I was kicking myself for missing out. I could imagine the group of you having a great crack with these people as they stop at the most popular haunts. I have copied the web link below if you are interested.





www.newberlintours.com





PS We spent a fair bit of time around Orianburger Strasse and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.




|||



Some ideas:





A Night on the Town



http://www.insidertour.com/tours.php/cat/71/aid/21/title/Night_on_the_Town!





A Pub Crawl



insidertour.com/tours.php/…Tourdetails





Stag Parties ideas



http://www.gablinger.com/stag.html





And more Stag/Hen ideas...



tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187323-c20197/Berlin…





I agree that the Oranienburger Strasse is a bit cheesy. I like the following night life spots (but must admit I a nerd, so don%26#39;t listen much to me :-)



- Oranienstrasse in Kreuzberg



- Gruenbergstrasse in Friedrichshain



- Kanstanienallee and Kollwitzplatz in Prenzlauer Berg





As for hotels, I have several ideas for you...




|||



Thanks for the reply%26#39;s Camjar and Lylou.





Particularly interested in what area%26#39;s to stay in.With it being 16 lads in a fairly big spread out City like Berlin we don%26#39;t want to have to travel too far for a decent bar as I reckon we could lose a few on the way.





I%26#39;ll check out your suggestions and thanks again.




|||



I was last in Berlin a couple of years ago. We got chatting to some locals who reckoned (and this is purely subjective), that the best nightlife was in the old east side of central Berlin.





We spent our eve%26#39;s around Hackescher Markt, and recommend it. Lots of bars and restaurants within walking distance. There are about five underneath the arches of Hackescher Markt station, and I have drunk and eaten in all, and can recommend all of them.




|||



It all depends what you want.





Oranienburger strasse is a bit like temple Bar in Dublin...a whole street of bars and restaurants....not particularly frequented by locals and all a bit %26quot;generic%26quot; ...it also becomes lined with hookers later in the evening though if that%26#39;s your thing..





I think as some others have suggested...Kreuzberg area..oranienstrasse...skatlizter strasse...around Kottebusser Tor...is very good for down and dirty bar%26#39;s and rock/punk clubs...looks dingy but quite safe.





Fredrichhain is also good...Simon Dach Strasse has lots of bars and restaurants as does Boxhagener strasse





Prenzlauer berg too...the Kulturbrauerie and surrounding area...kowilitzplatz





I%26#39;m goin in November again too !





Enjoy




|||



Thanks for the suggestions folks.We ended up booking a hotel in Friederichshain - seems to be a good location for bars etc and if we end up travelling further afield we%26#39;re fairly centrally located.I%26#39;ll let you know how we go.Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment