Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Traveling from Frankfurt to Vilseck army base. So many ?!

I%26#39;ve never been on a plan before or traveled much in the U.S, but a good friend is going to be stationed at the army base in Vilseck, Germany. I%26#39;m traveling alone so I%26#39;m a bit nervous.





I%26#39;ve found a flight into Frankfurt Germany, but I have no idea how far that is from the base. I read there was a train station, but when I went to the website I couldn%26#39;t find a stop in Vilseck.





My questions are





* Will I have to get a taxi to this train station or can I just walk?



* Is there any areas I would want to avoid?



* If theres not a train that will take me to Vilseck, what would be the next closest town?



* Can I use my Visa credit card there?





I%26#39;m sure I%26#39;ll think up more questions, but thats all I could come up with right now. I can%26#39;t seem to find any answers online.




|||



You can take the train from the airport in Frankfurt to Vilseck. The link below will get you to the train schedule, just enter From: Frankfurt Flugahfen to Vilseck. Looks like a 3.5 hour ride with a change of trains in Nurnburg.





www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml





When the times and costs of the train come up you can click on the one you want to select and a drop down will come up showing you the connections and time you arrive in Nurnburg and time for connection to Vilseck.





Visa and Mastercard are accepted.





You can walk form your terminal to the train station in the airport. There are a number of information centers in the airport to assist if you have any trouble at all.





Traveling by train is very easy and normally you will arrive in Nurnburg, have maybe 20 minutes to get off your train and on to the next gate to catch the connection. Normally this is pretty of time...not to worry about travel in Germany.




|||



Vilseck is some 300 km east of Frankfurt.



Flying to Munich would be another option. Albeit travel time will be nearly identical.





You can travel by train from Frankfurt Airport (FRA) to Vilseck.





DB timetable



http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en



From: FRA



To: Vilseck





Ignore the drop down lists coming up.





%26gt; Can I use my Visa credit card there?



For buying the train ticket: yes



Usage of credit cards is however not as common in Germany as in the US. Cash (= the Euro) rules. Especially for smaller sums and at cheap/budget places you cannot pay by credit card.





See if you can get a Rail%26amp;Fly ticket from your airline.



bahn.de/international/…rail_fly.shtml





Vilseck website



http://www.vilseck.de/




|||



This is probably a stupid question, but I%26#39;d feel better asking. Would I just need to use my one ticket I purchased at Frankfurt to get to Vilseck, and not buy another at the layover?




|||



One ticket is enough to get you from A to B or in this case: Frankfurt to Vilseck





The conductor will probably check your ticket on both trains, just keep your ticket with you and when they come around to your seat, just show it to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment